Please take time to familiarize yourself with the current site. There have been recent changes.
- Why do we have a website?
- What do we want it to do?
- How will it reflect our strategic plan?
- How do we increase traffic and presence?
- What should/can it look like? New logo?
- Is a full rebuild necessary?
- Cost estimates for a rebuild.
- How does social media play in?
- Renewabletaos.org is graciously hosted and funded by Jay Levine.
- We have 30 pages, 30 posts, 23 subject categories
- We have 7 registered users. Users are added by invitation only.
- Most educational material has been moved to the blog.
- Organizational material remains on pages.
- We have a facebook, reddit, youtube and twitter presence.
- Think of WP as an operating system like Android, Apple or Windows
- The screen is divided into three zones, the header, sidebar and body.
- Each element on the screen is like an app, called a “widget” that does one specific thing.
- Widgets are placed in zones, with restrictions.
- Widgets you see are the navigation menu, category bar, search bar, logo, text bar, “testimonials” (the crawler at the bottom), calendar
- The “Theme” controls the overall look and feel; fonts, zones colors, imagery.
- There are thousands of themes, widgets and plugins to choose from.
- The “back end” you see today will look the same on all WP sites.
Users and Roles
- Users are added by administrator approval only.
- Every user is assigned a “role” by an administrator (Levine, Kingsley, Pritchard)
- Roles = subscriber, event contributor, contributor, author, editor, administrator
- Each role has increased capability
Post creation interface.
- This interface will look much the same on all WP sites.
- Posts status can be set to draft, review, or published mode.
- Post visibility can be set to public, password protected or private.
Posts and Categories.
- The author of a post assigns it to one or more categories in a check box.
- Categories can be easily added but should be carefully managed.
- Categories can have a parent/child relationship
Linking the website to the google drive.
- Currently we must upload all content to the WP server. File size is limited to 2Mb.
- It’s very easy to exceed 2Mb on .jpg, pdf, publisher, powerpoint, and photos.
- We can bypass the WP server and “embed” google drive data on the website.
- Changes made on the google drive file automatically appear on the website.
- It is as responsive to the website viewer as it is to the google drive user.
- The app makes it almost as easy as attaching a pic to an email.
- Every category has a banner for an advertisement or brief text message.
- We may be able to place a “gif”, a short animation/slideshow.
- These are the key words we add to make the content discoverable in web searches.
- When people see RT org in a search and click on it, the eyeball count goes up.
- When the eyeball count goes up, we get a higher ranking in searches.